Capabilities and Offering
I am Pete Warnes and as you can see from my background I have run an SME Electronic Engineering company in the UK for over 20 years. There have been some very enjoyable times, and it was certainly successful, but I ended up feeling too tied to the office and wanted a change.
Many times over the history of the company, when we had a specific problem to solve or a decision to research, I found that I was the only one who cared enough to do that properly. But I had a lot of other stuff to do too so these things just added to the pressure.
I tried professional consultants a few times - but it felt to me that they simply asked me what I thought the solution was! So I ended up doing the job myself and paying someone else to do it. What I needed was another me!
I can be your "other me", being able to look at problems from the wide angle at the same time as close up, and being able to quickly boil the issues down, and end up with just a few choices of how to proceed.
Because my business was successful, I now have the freedom to choose what I do. I have chosen to have more free time in my life and pursue some other interests, but I would still like to use my experience and expertise to help others.
Now I am not running a company, it occurs to me that other start ups and SMEs almost certainly have times when they could use someone with technical and business skills like mine. I have a way of quickly cutting to the issues, and I could work alone, or with a team of your employees depending on the task and your needs.
Technically, I am passionate about electronics. I really enjoy designing a board or system to solve a particular problem. In the recent years I have made myself an expert in Signal Integrity for real PCB designs, and can offer to take care of that for others. I really enjoyed working with some of my customers to see their products be successful in their own fields - seeing the boards that we had designed being used in the real world for real things. Like I was for those customers, I can be the electronics department for a company whose core business is not electronics.
Below are some possible areas where we could work together, but I am always open to considering other things. My qualifications and business were in Electronics, and I have kept the equipment and tools, so I am able to offer electronics design, manufacture and test, but much of my experience can be applied to other types of businesses too.
- Electronics expertise for companies whose core competence is elsewhere
- Signal integrity (SI) - design, analysis, troubleshooting, policymaking, mentoring, training
- Architecture of electronic systems, for real time performance
- Business and technical research
- Selection and/or development of Electronic data passing architecture
- Development of design guidelines to ensure consistent approach
- Specification for interoperability of products
- Production tests that identify the root cause of any problem
- Problem solving (production, reliability, bug finding etc)
- System Fault tolerance and recovery
- Selection and if necessary development of production techniques
- Product Range definition, specification, documentation
- Design for Manufacture (DFM) and test
- Electronic product design, layout, routing, simulation and prototyping
- Thermal troubleshooting of electronic products
- Definition, development and integration of web,database and internal systems